Thursday, June 14, 2007

Worn and tatterd


I only had time to work the Italian hive today. The bees were anxious, loud, and restless, as was I. They are getting worn and tattered. I found no queen, and no eggs. There was only one supercedure cell left in there. The bees are building out honey comb, on existing frames, without minding the 'bee' space needed to fill out the frame next to it. What a disappointment. Part way through working the bees, I put a pair of gloves on my hands. I was afraid. The bees are unhappy and I don't blame them. They live for their queen, and she is not there, or not well. I finished working the hive by sheer force of my own inner will. I did not want to finish working the hive today, but HAD to because I do not want to go back in there until I am ready to install a new queen.

Tomorrow, weather and time permitting, I will work the Russian hive. The Russian hive has been BURSTING with bees lately, as the first baby bees are emerging, as workers, and taking their orientation flights....there are so many new bees doing this, that two days ago I thought the hive was being robbed by another colony of bees. I am SO grateful to have two hives. It takes the *sting* out of my troubles with the Italians.